Seattle is located on a peninsula surrounded by several different waterways: Puget Sound to the west, Elliott Bay to the south, and Lake Washington to the east. Salmon Bay, Lake Union, and Union Bay (collectively known as the Lake Washington Ship Canal) also slice the city in half, with the Ballard, Fremont, and University District neighborhoods to the north and the rest of Seattle’s neighborhoods to the south.
Due to the coastal location of Seattle, Seattle has not only stunning views but a unique climate. The nearby ocean currents influence the city’s climate. This proximity to the water moderates Seattle’s temperatures, resulting in mild winters and cool, relatively dry summers.
Due to the abundant greenery and lush landscapes, Seattle has been nicknamed the “Emerald City”. It is directly from the “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” by the author L. Frank Baum. Emerald City represented a place of beauty and wonder and that nomer has been transferred to Seattle.
- Map Of Seattle, Washington
- Is Seattle a Safe Place to Visit
- Places of Interest for Seattle
- Pike Place Market Area in Seattle
- Pioneer Square
- Downtown Seattle
- Belltown in Seattle
- University District Area of Seattle
- 5 Star Hotels in Seattle – University District
- Queen Anne District of Seattle
- South Lake Union District of Seattle
- Capitol Hill District of Seattle
Map Of Seattle, Washington
Is Seattle a Safe Place to Visit
This is always an important question. No doubt Seattle was in the news a lot in 2020. However, that was over 2 years ago and things have changed. Not only for Seattle but for the United States. There is no need to forgo activities and trips that you have always wanted to do because of a 2-year-old scenario. Here is a great article, “Is Seattle Safe in 2023? (Honest Info From a Local)“, explaining the current (2023) situation.
Places of Interest for Seattle
Seattle, Washington offers a wealth of tourist attractions that cater to various interests. It would be even more exciting if you choose one of the many 5 star hotels in Seattle Here are some places of interest in the city.
- Westlake Center: Westlake Center is a prominent shopping mall located in downtown Seattle, Washington. The center is known for its distinctive glass-covered atrium and its convenient locations.
- Pacific Place: A multi-level shopping destination in downtown Seattle.
- Space Needle: One of Seattle’s most iconic landmarks, the Space Needle offers breathtaking panoramic views of the city and its surroundings from its observation deck.
- Pike Place Market: A bustling and historic market, Pike Place Market is famous for its fresh produce, local crafts, specialty foods, and the entertaining fish-throwing tradition.
- Chihuly Garden and Glass: This stunning museum showcases the remarkable glass artwork of Dale Chihuly, featuring vibrant and intricate sculptures displayed in a beautifully designed garden setting.
- Seattle Center: Located near the Space Needle, Seattle Center is a cultural hub with attractions like the Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP), the Pacific Science Center, and the International Fountain.
- Seattle Waterfront: The waterfront area offers scenic views of Elliott Bay, and it’s a great place to stroll along the piers, visit the Seattle Aquarium, or enjoy fresh seafood at various restaurants.
- Pioneer Square: Known as Seattle’s oldest neighborhood, Pioneer Square is home to historic buildings, art galleries, shops, and the famous Underground Tour, where you can explore the city’s hidden subterranean past.
- Museum of Flight: Aviation enthusiasts will love this museum, which showcases an extensive collection of aircraft and exhibits detailing the history of aviation and space exploration.
- Olympic Sculpture Park: Located on the waterfront, this outdoor sculpture park features contemporary artworks amidst stunning views of the Puget Sound and Olympic Mountains.
- Woodland Park Zoo: A popular attraction for families, the Woodland Park Zoo houses a wide range of animal species and offers educational programs and exhibits.
- Fremont Neighborhood: Known for its quirky charm, Fremont boasts unique public art installations like the Fremont Troll and the Fremont Sunday Market, a lively weekly market.
Pike Place Market Area in Seattle
Pike Place Market is located in downtown Seattle overlooking the Eliott Bay waterfront. Established in 1907, it is one of the oldest continuously operating farmers’ markets in the United States. It supports a large and diverse group of small-scale farmers and independent businesses. It is famous for its fresh produce, local crafts, specialty foods, and the entertaining fish-throwing tradition.
In the market, you can purchase anything from farm-fresh fruits, vegetables, seafood, flowers, or handcrafted goods. Craft beverages including coffee, tea, breweries, and wineries are available in the market. You will be entertained by street performances by musicians, as well as art galleries, and local cafes.
Food enthusiasts as well as non-foodies find the market to be a paradise. It certainly is an amazing place to visit. You can become acquainted with all the culinary diversity Seattle has to offer. In the numerous food stalls, you can find local honey, baked goods, artisanal cheese, chocolates, and exotic spices.
5 Star Hotels in Seattle – Pike Place Market
There are many great 5 star hotels in Seattle to choose from. However, there is only one hotel located in the historic Pike Place Market. That hotel is the Inn at the Market. It is a tranquil spot just steps away from the market. The hotel offers guest rooms and suites with breathtaking views of Pike Place Market, Puget Sound, and the Seattle skyline.
Each room is designed with modern amenities and features such as plush bedding, flat-screen TVs, complimentary Wi-Fi, mini-refrigerators, and in-room coffee makers. Some rooms also offer private balconies or patios.
Pioneer Square is Seattle’s oldest neighborhood located in downtown Seattle, Washington. It is considered the birthplace of the city. The area was initially settled in the mid-19th century and initially was the business district of the city.
Pioneer Park is located in Pioneer Square. It is a public park and gathering place in the middle of Seattle it includes benches, art installations, and open spaces for residents and visitors alike. Interestingly enough, a totem pole is located in the park.
The totem pole, a symbol of Native American heritage, stands as a tribute to the region’s indigenous culture, further adding to the cultural significance of Pioneer Square.
Pioneer Square is also home to a rich collection of art galleries, antique shops, boutiques, and restaurants. It has become a hub for local artists and designers
The neighborhood is renowned for its vibrant nightlife, with bars, clubs, and live music venues offering entertainment options for all tastes. Whether exploring the art scene, enjoying a delicious meal, or experiencing the energetic nightlife, Pioneer Square is a must-visit destination. It is known for its famous Underground Tour where you can explore the city’s subterranean past.
5 Star Hotels in Seattle – Pioneer Square
Pioneer Square is located in Downtown Seattle. So if you wish to stay near Pioneer Square, you are also staying in the Downtown area. It is not a problem as the hotel is close to Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, and of course the downtown area. Here are some of our suggestions for 5 star hotels in Seattle near Pioneer Square.
- Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle. It is an IHG boutique hotel located on Fourth Avenue in Seattle, a stone’s throw away from Pioneer Square in downtown Seattle. You can easily walk to all of the historic neighborhood’s attractions and landmarks. After exploring all that Pioneer Square has to offer, you can return to the stylis comfort of the Hotel Monaco.
- Embassy Suites by Hilton Seattle Downtown Pioneer Square is a contemporary hotel located in close proximity to the historic neighborhood of Pioneer Square in Seattle. Situated on 1st Avenue South, the hotel offers guests easy access to all the attractions of Pioneer Square. You can explore the underground tunnels, enjoy local cuisine, or savor the vibrant arts scene in Pioneer Square.
- The Fairmont Olympic Hotel on 441 University Street in downtown Seattle. Located less than one mile from Pioneer Square, The historic landmark is easily accessible. The hotel offers a convenient retreat within walking distance of all you may want to visit.
The Space Needle is located in the downtown area of Seattle, situated in the Lower Queen Anne neighborhood adjacent to downtown Seattle. Its central location makes it easily accessible for visitors exploring downtown Seattle, and it has become an iconic symbol of the city’s skyline.
The Space Needle in Seattle was built for the 1962 World’s Fair. it is considered to be a symbol of Seattle due to its recognizable features. It is known for its distinctive saucer-shaped observation deck and its towering height of 605 feet (184 meters). Additionally, the rotating restaurant at the top of the Space Needle, SkyCity, offers a unique dining experience with stunning vistas.
The downtown neighborhood is home to the business district, with numerous corporate headquarters, financial institutions, and tech companies.
Seattle offers a rich cultural experience. Pike Place Market as well as Pioneer Square is located in the downtown area. The neighborhood is also home to a variety of museums, including the Seattle Art Museum, the Museum of Pop Culture, and the Seattle Aquarium, providing cultural experiences for residents and tourists alike.
Not to mention the exceptional dining and entertainment options in the city. Visitors can catch a show at the historic Paramount Theatre or enjoy live music at venues like The Crocodile or the Triple Door.
Overall, downtown Seattle is a bustling hub of activity that seamlessly combines commerce, culture, and entertainment. With its stunning waterfront, iconic landmarks, vibrant markets, and thriving arts scene, it offers a diverse and captivating experience for residents and visitors alike.
Read on for some suggestions for 5 star hotels in Seattle. Keep in mind that most of the areas are very close to each other so one area is not necessarily not better than a different area.
5 Star Hotels in Seattle – Downtown Seattle
- Four Seasons Hotel Seattle is a waterfront hotel located in downtown Seattle, Washington. Situated on 1st Avenue, it offers breathtaking views of Elliott Bay and the Olympic Mountains. The Four Seasons Hotel Seattle provides a haven of comfort and sophistication for guests seeking a memorable stay in the heart of the city.
- The Grand Hyatt Seattle is a stylish hotel located in the business district of downtown Seattle. Situated on Pine Street, it offers convenient access to the shopping and dining scene of the nearby Westlake Center and Pacific Place.
- Thompson Seattle is a boutique hotel located in the heart of downtown Seattle, Washington. it is situated on 1st Avenue. its location gives its visitors panoramic views of the Puget Sound and Olympic Mountains. For a memorable stay in the Emerald City, Thompson Seattle has much to offer.
- The State Hotel is a chic boutique hotel located on 1st Avenue in downtown Seattle, Washington. It is situated in near Pioneer Square in downtown Seattle. It is close to Pike Place Market and Pioneer Square and a great place to begin your journey of exploring Seattle.
- Hotel 1000, an LXR Hotels property, is a luxury hotel located in downtown Seattle, Washington. Guests can indulge in the hotel’s renowned Spaahh, which offers relaxing treatments such as hot stone massages and rejuvenating facials. The hotel’s exclusive virtual golf simulator allows guests to practice their swing on world-famous courses from around the globe, creating an immersive golfing experience. It showcases the elegant BOKA Restaurant + Bar with locally sourced ingredients. Lastly, the hotel’s guest rooms and suites feature modern design, luxurious furnishings, and breathtaking views of downtown Seattle or Elliott Bay.
Belltown in Seattle
Belltown is located within the downtown district of Seattle although it is situated just north of the central business district. In general, Belltown tends to offer more affordable hotel options compared to downtown Seattle but prices can still vary depending on factors such as the specific hotel, time of year, and any ongoing events or conventions happening in the city.
Belltown is located a short walk, about 1/2 mile, from Pike Place Market. It is home to an arts and entertainment scene. The Moore Theatre, located on 2nd Avenue, hosts a diverse range of performances, including concerts, theater productions, and comedy shows.
For those looking to explore the outdoors, Belltown offers easy access to the waterfront. Just a few blocks away, visitors can enjoy a leisurely stroll along the scenic Elliott Bay Trail or take a ferry ride to nearby destinations such as Bainbridge Island or West Seattle. The picturesque Olympic Sculpture Park, with its captivating outdoor art installations and stunning views of Puget Sound, is also within walking distance from Belltown.
From Belltown, visitors have convenient access to popular attractions including the Space Needle, Chihuly Garden and Glass, and the Seattle Center. The neighborhood itself offers a diverse array of dining options, ranging from trendy gastropubs to upscale restaurants, making it a culinary hotspot.
5 Star Hotels in Seattle – Belltown
- The Edgewater Hotel in Seattle is a unique waterfront hotel known for its stunning location and rich history. Situated on Pier 67, this hotel offers breathtaking views of Elliott Bay and the Olympic Mountains. The Edgewater Hotel gained fame in the 1960s when it hosted The Beatles during their visit to Seattle, and it continues to attract guests with its rustic charm and luxurious amenities. With its cozy and rustic lodge-inspired interiors, personalized service, and close proximity to popular attractions like Pike Place Market and the Seattle Aquarium, the Edgewater Hotel provides a memorable and picturesque experience for visitors to Seattle.
- Hotel Ändra in Seattle is a boutique hotel that belongs to the MGallery Hotel Collection. It is located in downtown Seattle on 4th Avenue. The hotel offers a fitness center, meeting spaces, in addition to rooms with a Scandinavian-inspired design. It has a prime location with easy access to Pike Place Market, the Space Needle, and the Seattle Art Museum.
- The Westin Seattle is a well-established hotel located on 5th Ave. in downtown Seattle. it also is within walking distance of popular attractions, shopping centers, and entertainment venues. The hotel has impressive city views as well as a rooftop restaurant.
University District Area of Seattle
The University District, commonly known as the U-District, is located north of downtown Seattle. It is named after the prestigious University of Washington, which is located in that district. T.
One of the main attractions in the University District or the U-District is the University of Washington campus itself. Visitors can explore the campus, visit the Henry Art Gallery, or catch a game at Husky Stadium. The Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture, located on campus, showcases a diverse collection of artifacts and exhibits, offering a fascinating insight into the natural and cultural history of the region.
The U-District offers easy access to other attractions in Seattle. It is well-connected by public transportation, including light rail and bus services. Visitors staying in the U-District can easily explore downtown Seattle, including popular destinations such as Pike Place Market, the Space Needle, and the Seattle Waterfront.
5 Star Hotels in Seattle – University District
- Residence Inn by Marriott Seattle in the University District is located just steps away from the University of Washington campus. The hotel also provides complimentary breakfast, a fitness center, and a cozy lobby lounge. This hotel is not one of the 5 star hotels in Seattle but with its central location in the University District, guests have easy access to the university’s attractions, including museums, and sporting events, as well as the campus itself.
- Staypineapple Watertown Hotel in the University District of Seattle is located just a few blocks away from the University of Washington, making it a convenient choice for those visiting the campus or attending events. The hotel offers complimentary bicycles to its guests. The surrounding University District neighborhood also contains a variety of dining options and shops. FIX THIS: Staypineapple Watertown Hotel in the University District of Seattle is located on Roosevelt Way NE. Roosevelt Way NE is a major street that runs north-south through the University District neighborhood. The hotel’s location on Roosevelt Way NE provides convenient access to the University of Washington campus, as well as the vibrant dining and shopping scene in the surrounding area. Guests staying at Staypineapple Watertown Hotel can easily explore the attractions and amenities of the University District, including the university campus, museums, theaters, and nearby parks.
Queen Anne District of Seattle
The Queen Anne district of Seattle is an affluent neighborhood located just north of downtown. It is known for its Queen Anne-style architecture and is home to several attractions that make it a fantastic place to stay and visit.
One of the main attractions in the Queen Anne district is Kerry Park, which offers panoramic views of downtown Seattle, Elliott Bay, and the distant mountains. The park is a popular spot for both locals and tourists, especially during sunset when the cityscape is bathed in a golden glow. Nearby, visitors can also explore the Seattle Center, which is home to famous landmarks like the Space Needle, Chihuly Garden and Glass, and the Pacific Science Center.
Queen Anne Avenue is the main thoroughfare and is lined with a variety of restaurants, cafes, and bars. This neighborhood has something for everyone as the neighborhood is also home to boutique shops, art galleries, and theaters.
In terms of location, Queen Anne is situated just north of downtown Seattle, making it very convenient. While it offers a quieter and more residential atmosphere compared to downtown, it is still within close proximity to the city’s major attractions for visitors. Downtown Seattle can be easily reached by a short bus or car ride.
5 Star Hotels in Seattle – Queen Anne District
- Staypineapple, The Maxwell Hotel is located on Roy Street in Seattle’s Queen Anne district. Roy Street runs east-west and intersects with Queen Anne Avenue. The hotel’s central location on Roy Street allows guests easy access to the attractions and amenities of the Queen Anne district and the nearby Seattle Center. Located in close proximity to the Seattle Center, it offers convenient access to popular attractions such as the Space Needle, Chihuly Garden and Glass, and the Pacific Science Center.
- Mediterranean Inn is located at 425 Queen Anne Avenue N, Seattle, WA 98109. The inn is surrounded by a variety of dining options, boutique shops, as well as entertainment venues. The hotel is also close to the Space Needle, Kerry Park, and the Seattle Center.
South Lake Union District of Seattle
The South Lake Union District is located just north of downtown Seattle, Washington. It is situated between the shores of Lake Union and Interstate 5.
South Lake Union has experienced a significant transformation in recent years. Once dominated by warehouses and industry, the district has been revitalized into a mixed-use neighborhood that blends commercial, residential, and recreational spaces.
Tech giants like Amazon have established their headquarters in South Lake Union. The neighborhood is also home to numerous research institutes, biotech companies, and startups, making it a thriving hub for scientific and technological advancements.
One of the defining features of South Lake Union is its close proximity to downtown Seattle. Just a short walk or bike ride away, residents and visitors can easily access the city center. This makes it an ideal location for those who want to enjoy the benefits of living in a more relaxed and modern neighborhood while still being able to take advantage of all the amenities and activities downtown has to offer.
The neighborhood’s waterfront location provides opportunities for activities such as kayaking, paddleboarding, and scenic walks along the lake. The area is also home to popular attractions like the Museum of History & Industry (MOHAI) and the Center for Wooden Boats, which showcase the region’s maritime heritage.
5 Star Hotels in Seattle – South Lake Union District
- The Pan Pacific Seattle Hotel is a luxurious and elegant establishment situated in the South Lake Union neighborhood of Seattle at 2125 Terry Avenue, Seattle. Its location provides guests with easy access to both the downtown area and the scenic shores of Lake Union. This waterfront hotel offers stunning views of the lake and the city skyline setting for guests to enjoy.
- The Level Seattle Downtown South Lake Union hotel is located at 223 Yale Avenue North, Seattle. It offers a convenient and central location for guests to explore the city. With its proximity to downtown Seattle, guests can easily access a wide range of attractions, dining options, and entertainment venues located in the city.
Capitol Hill District of Seattle
Capitol Hill is a neighborhood located adjacent and just east of downtown Seattle. One of the main attractions in Capitol Hill is Volunteer Park, a beautiful green space that features meticulously maintained gardens, walking paths, and a historic water tower.
The park also houses the Asian Art Museum, which showcases a stunning collection of Asian artwork. From the park, visitors can enjoy panoramic views of the city skyline and Mount Rainier on clear days.
The historic Egyptian Theatre and Neumos are popular spots for live music in the area, while The Capitol Hill Block Party, an annual music festival, draws crowds from all over the city. Visitors can also explore a wide variety of dining options on Broadway Avenue and beyond.
The Capitol Hill neighborhood is served by public transportation, including buses and light rail, allowing for easy exploration of all of Seattle’s attractions.
The District also includes notable black residential areas and old churches. The district has played a significant role in Seattle’s African American history, with several neighborhoods in Capitol Hill serving as important centers for the black community. One such area is the Central District, which was a hub for black culture and activism during the Civil Rights Movement.
Capitol Hill is also home to several historic churches. These old churches represent important community spaces. For instance, the First African Methodist Episcopal Church (FAME Church) on 14th Avenue is an institution that has been a gathering place for Seattle’s black community for over a century.
5 Star Hotels in Seattle – Capitol Hill District
- The Hyatt at Olive is a highly regarded hotel located in the Capitol Hill district of Seattle. Situated at 1635 8th Avenue, this hotel offers a prime location. Additionally, the Hyatt at Olive is conveniently located near major roadways, including Interstate 5, providing easy access to other parts of the city and its attractions.
- Cecil Bacon Manor B&B is a charming and inviting bed and breakfast nestled in the heart of the Capitol Hill district. Located at 1414 10th Avenue, this B&B is located very close to Amazon headquarters.