Costa Maya, home to crystal clear water and beautiful lagoons, is a popular tourist attraction and a must-visit place. If you are thinking about visiting Costa Maya on your next vacation, then you are in the right place. This article will highlight everything you need to know about Costa Maya, including a few must-visit spots.
Whether you love spending the day on the beach or getting lost in architectural history, this area has something for everyone. This is why the popular cruise port should be added to your bucket list.
Where is Costa Maya?
Costa Maya is located on the Yucatan Peninsula, it is a part of the Mexican state of Quintana Roo. This tourist region is home to Xcalak and Mahahual (10 minutes from the cruise port), two small fishing villages. Costa Maya is a part of the Othón P. Blanco municipality, which is the only state that is bounded by the Caribbean Sea. Cancun and Playa del Carmen are approximately 100 miles from the cruise port, which is close to the Belize border with Mexico.
How far is Costa Maya from Cozumel?
When visiting Costa Maya, most tourists choose to make the journey to Cozumel, Mexico, which is home to several tourist attractions. It is around 130 miles from Cozumel. You can travel between the two areas by car, bus, ferry, shuttle, or via cruise.
Is Costa Maya safe?
Costa Maya is known to be quite a safe region with low crime rates, making it quite a popular tourist destination. The locals are quite friendly and speak English, making it much easier to get around.
Puerto Costa Maya weather
Costa Maya is quite warm throughout the year, with the average temperate ranging from 82 degrees Fahrenheit to 91 degrees Fahrenheit. This is perfect, considering it is home to beautiful beaches and several outdoor attractions. There are a few months when it can be cooler, so it is a good idea to analyze the average temperatures you can expect during the time you will be visiting.
Costa Maya weather by month
Despite the area typically being a warm region, weather conditions may vary throughout the year. It is best to choose the time to visit the region during the month that has the temperatures you most enjoy. To make this decision easier for you, here is a bit about the Costa Maya weather conditions during the entire year:
- January – is the coldest time of year, with an average temperature of 74°F.
- February – is the month when the water in Costa Mays is at its coldest, with the average temperature in Costa May during this month being 9.5°F.
- March – is the driest month and with 0.4 inches of rain and an average temperature of 81.9°F.
- April – is when it starts to get a bit warmer with the average temperature being 84°F.
- May – is one of the best months to visit as it is quite warm with an average temperature of 85.8°F.
- June – is very sunny with night temperatures averaging 79°F and day temperatures averaging 90°F.
- July – is hot with temperatures ranging from 79°F for the night and 91°F during the day, with an average temperature of 85°F.
- August – has the warmest air and the average temperature is around 82.2°F.
- September – experiences the most rain, with temperatures ranging from 79°F for the night and 90°F during the day, averaging 84.5°F.
- October – is when it begins to get a bit cooler and the average temperature is around 85°F.
- November – has an average temperature of approximately 82°F.
- December – has an average temperature of approximately 81°F.
Puerto Costa Maya excursions
One of the main reasons Costa Maya is a tourist hotspot throughout the year is because of how much there is to do. Whether you are traveling with a group or on your own, a few of the must-do activities to do while visiting includes:
- Visit Mahual fishing village
- Visit the Flamingo Aviary Fountain
- Visit Chacchoben
- Swim in the crystal clear water beaches
- Scuba diving at Chinchorro (an island near the port)
- Power snorkeling
- Fly fishing
- Jet skiing, paddleboarding, kayaking
- Visit the Mahahual (10 minutes from the port) Lighthouse
- Taste the local cuisine
- Visit historic archeologic sites (Knhunlich Ruins, Dzibanche Ruins)
- Visit Bacalar Fort
- Experiencing the 7 Colors Lagoons in Bacalar
Beach day excursions
It is no secret that Costa Maya is home to beautiful beaches. The best way to visit the beaches is by booking a beach day excursion, you can choose to do this before your trip or when you arrive in. Quite a few cruise lines offer beach day excursions for their passengers. It is worth checking out your cruise excursions with your cruise ship if you will be stopping at their port.
When visiting, if you are a beach lover, it is a good idea to visit as many as you can. Each one is a little bit different than the others. If you are looking for a few of the best beaches to visit that are located in or near Costa Maya, we have you covered. Here are a few of the best beaches located near this region:
- Mahahual Beach
- La Bamba Beach
- Pez Quadro Beach
- Hayhu Beach
- Beach Escape
If none of these packages appeal to you, or if you want to spend a couple of hours at the beach in Mahahual, it is pretty easy to get on the shuttle, take a taxi, or a golf car to look around Mahahual before deciding where to lay your towel and what to do.
Which cruise lines visit Costa Maya?
Since it is a cruise port, many cruise lines include this as a stop on several cruises. A few of the cruise lines that visit Costa Maya include:
- Royal Caribbean International
- Norwegian Cruise Line
- Azamara Cruise Lines
- MSC Cruises
- Princess Cruises
- Celebrity Cruises
Costa Maya is a must-visit region filled with picturesque beaches and historic archeological sites. This Mexican state has something to do for everyone, making it a great location for your next family vacation. Not to mention the warm weather that the region experiences throughout the year. Now that you know everything you need to know about Costa Maya, you can start planning your next trip there.