Skincare for Seniors
Aging comes with wrinkles and sagging skin. Unfortunately it is inevitable because as the years pass, significant levels of elastin and collagen in our body are reduced. It is a natural part of aging and there are no exceptions from this process. However, here are a few skincare tips for seniors to keep skin looking healthy and younger.
Protect yourself from the sun
- Always use sunscreen. When you go from your home to your car, you are getting sun. Your daily skin care routine should include applying a moisturizer that has sun protection.
- Wear protective clothing. Today it is not difficult to find special sun-protective clothing. Just be cautious as after washing your garments many times, the sun protection will decline.
- Look for shade and do not stand in the direct sun. The sun is it strongest between 10 am and 2 pm.
- Smoking will make your skin look thicker and wrinkle more than normal. It narrows your blood vessels in your epidermis and shows wrinkles more than normal.
- Smoking damages the collagen and elastin in your outer skin, also emphasizing wrinkles.
Wash your skin gently
- Hot water is not a friend to your skin. It strips lubricating oils away from your skin.
- Strong soaps and detergents also strips your skin from oils. This is one reason your skin may often dry out and itch.
- Shaving scratches the top layer of your skin and robs it of its protective layer. Use shaving cream. or lubricants before you shave and do so gently.
- Moisturize your skin. You can put back some of the essential oils needed for healthy skin.
Eat a healthy diet
- The food you eat definitely impacts your skin. Be sure to get the recommended amount of essential vitamins and minerals.
Reduce the stress in your life
- Stress will add years to your face. It is difficult to delete stress from our lives but get rid of the unnecessary stress. You will feel better and look better.
Drink lots of fluids
- Water will hydrate you all over, including your face. It s recommended to drink eight 8 ounce glasses of fluid a day. This includes water. Too much sweetened fluids will add sugar to your diet so try to avoid these.
Avoid too much sugar
- Too much sugar will aid wrinkles and acne.
- Sugar helps to produce enzymes in your body that encourages your skin to sag.
Limit caffeine and alcohol
- Alcohol and caffeine are diuretics and will aid in drying out your skin.
Do you have any recommendations for healthy skin that has helped you? Let us know!