Why You Should Get Travel InsuranceTravel Tips
Not All Insurance Will Cover Travel
Medicare can be used for medical necessities while you are on a cruise ship. But this is ONLY when you are in a port within the US or within six hours of departure or arrival at a U.S. port. However, while you may begin and thus end your cruise from a US port, you will probably be in international waters as well as foreign ports of call for most of your trip. Medicare will not cover any medical costs during this time. You really do need to get insurance when you are out of the country.
Some medicare supplemental plans do cover Foreign Travel Emergency. For instance, Mutual of Omaha plan G will cover:
- **80% of cost of emergency care that begins during the first two months of each trip
- **you must pay a $250/year deductible
- **Up to $50,000 lifetime payments
Make sure to check your medicare plan before traveling so you will be aware of any and all coverages available. If your plan does not cover medical expenses when you are out of the country, you need to be aware of this fact and get insurance.
If you have health insurance but are not on medicare, your insurance company usually will not pay for any medical treatment outside the US. Always check with your insurance company prior to any trip to check your coverage. If you have purchased travel insurance, you will be certain that you are covered. However, make sure you are aware of what your travel insurance will or will not cover.
Many Reasons to Get Insurance
There are many reasons why you should always obtain travel insurance.
- 1. If your flight is missed or canceled, travel insurance can help with the changes or reimburse you for unanticipated costs.
- 2. If your passport is stolen, the insurance company will help you to get it replaced.
- 3. If your cash is stolen when you are out of the country, the insurance company can help you to obtain emergency cash.
- 4. If you have an accident, you have the peace of mind knowing that medical costs will be reimbursed.
- 5. If for any reason you must be evacuated from your location, your insurance will pay for your return home.
- 6. If you have to go to a hospital for medical aid during your trip, the costs will be taken care of.
- 7. If you have a family emergency and are not able to go on your planned trip, travel insurance will reimburse your prepaid costs.
- 8. If there s a terrorist incident, travel insurance will be able to help.
- 9. If you get sick while on vacation, the insurance will help cover your costs.
- 10. If something happens to your tour operator, travel insurance will assist you.
- 11. If your luggage is delayed or lost, travel insurance is there.
Always check with your insurance company before leaving on a trip. You just never know when tragedy will strike. It is a fact that things do happen. You can just hope that nothing happens to you. Probably nothing will happen. But if it does, you will wish you had paid the extra dollars and obtained travel insurance. That is the reason to get insurance. Just in case.