5 Easy-to-Use Health Apps for SeniorsTechnology
The rise of mobile technology has brought an influx of mobile apps for seniors in recent years. You might already be familiar with or have downloaded popular communication apps (like Skype) or perhaps certain entertainment and productivity apps. The health industry is also propelling its way through the mobile space in leaps and bounds, offering a wide array of health apps to benefit the masses – seniors included.
In fact, the plethora of mobile applications that can be readily accessed right at your fingertips is impressive, to say the least!
The best thing about all these health applications is that older adults may leverage technology to keep their health in check. However, some adults are still trying to tread water in the ever growing and changing sea of technology.
How do you manage your health?
According to a survey released by the Pew Research Center in 2013, 7 out of 10 adults actually track at least one health indicator (either for themselves or for someone else). Surely there are more than ever today who take advantage of mobile technology.
49% of adults actually track all these information in their heads; while only
21% use technology for tracking and with only
7% of them using an app or other tool on their mobile device.
Unfortunately, there is no way your brain can actually take on massive loads of information without losing a little in the process. You need to monitor your weight, physical activity, diet, heart rate, pulse rate, blood glucose levels, etc. Plus, there are medication schedules. All of this – you need to be doing every single day.
This could be a severe information overload, so it is helpful to use some of the apps for seniors to manage your schedule and health.
Time for an app-grade!
Technology is here to make our lives easier and that also means taking advantage of smartphones, tablets, or computers. Using some health apps on your mobile device would make it easy for you to track data or analyze information. This can take a HUGE amount of weight off your head.
Moreover, seniors who have used certain health apps attest to better health monitoring, better compliance, and significant progress in their health.
So it’s time to upgrade the way you track or manage your health through 5 of these useful health apps:
In many cases, people who are trying to manage certain health conditions usually need to take 2, 3, or maybe 4 different kinds of pills two to three times a day.
And because it can be difficult for many to remember details such as the right medication to be taken as well as the right dose and the right time for taking these pills, only half of the patients are basically able to adhere to their treatment regimens.
Using an app called Pillboxie, seniors may now have a better chance of improving their compliance with medications.
Created by a registered nurse, Pillboxie is an app that allows management for medications more efficiently, giving an an easier and a more visual way to remember medications.
- Schedules a reminder by dropping your pills into a pillbox
- Customizes medications with over 100 different combinations of med-shaped colors
- Snooze feature even when the device is off
- Records time taken, dose taken andreason for taking
- No network connection required
- Download Pillboxie for an iPhone or iPad
Click here to read a review on Pillboxie.
Powered by Azumio, Stress Check Pro is an app for seniors that can be used for quantifying and managing physical and emotional stress levels.
By gently placing the tip of your index finger on your iPhone’s built-in camera lens, Stress Check Pro automatically measures your body’s heart rate variability (HRV), denoting the amount of time between consecutive heartbeats. Being able to monitor your stress levels allows you to be more aware of your daily stress, and thereby allows you to manage yourself physically and mentally, reducing certain chronic conditions related to stress.
- Heart data to quantify your stress level
- Determines your reaction to different stress producers
- Data is stored so you can track progress over time
- Complex algorithms are designed in line with the North American Society of Pacing and Electrophysiology (NASPE) and the European Society of Cardiology (ESC)
- Download Stress Check Pro for iOS (iPhone & iPod Touch) or Android
Click here to read a review on Stress Check Pro.
The WebMD mobile app gives you 24/7 access to health information. It provides support tools to help you learn more about your health. The information can help you make the right decisions related to your health. You also get to personalize your app by creating and saving your own list of drugs, conditions, and articles relevant to you.
- Symptom Checker – allows you to select a part of your body you have trouble with, choose your symptoms, and view possible health conditions
- Drugs & Treatments – contains a database of information on medications, supplements, side effects, warnings, etc.
- First Aid Information – provides an outline of treatment/management tips for different medical emergencies from allergic reactions and asthma attack to choking and broken bones (even without internet) as well as indications for you to call 911.
- Local Health Listings – allows you to find your closest hospital, pharmacy, and physician including addresses, phone numbers, and maps
- Conditions – contains a list comprehensive yet easy-to-understand information about various medical diseases and conditions including their causes, symptoms, diagnosis, questions to ask your doctor, medical terms, treatments, and tests/procedures,
- Pill Identification Tool – allows you to identify your prescriptions drugs and OTC (over-the-counter) medicines by the pill’s shape, color, and imprint
- Healthy Target – allows you to track your progress on a daily basis as well as connect wearable devices and obtain actionable insights by the end of the week
- Healthy Living – access to a daily lifestyle magazine where you get to know more about health tips, articles,quizzes, slideshows, fun facts, and recipes.
- Download WebMD on Android, iPhone, and iPad
Click here to read a review on WebMD App.
Walgreens seeks to go beyond just living up to their brand through the Walgreens App. The app offers access to healthcare clinics as well as a rewards program that promotes healthy living behaviors.
- Refill by Scan – allows you to scan the barcode on your prescription bottle and pick up your refill in an hour; you will also get alerted when it’s time to refill your prescriptions
- Pill Reminder – enables you to set reminders when it’s time to take your medications
- Immunizations – helps you identify the right immunizations for you, so your health can be protected
- Pharmacy Chat – gives you access to live chat with a pharmacy professional whenever you seek health advice or account support
- Rx Status and History – helps you keep track of your current and past prescriptions, transfer prescriptions, request new Rx, print Rx records, and more
- Healthcare Clinic – enables you to look for a healthcare clinic near you and schedule an appointment using your phone
- Weekly Ad & Coupons – gives you access to great deals each week, clip coupons to your Balance Rewards card
- Balance®Rewards for Healthy Choices – earn points just by logging healthy activities you’ve done for the day. It allows you to set goals and log activity for walking, running, including the frequency, as well as allowing you to track your weight
- Store Locator / Product Search – allows you to set your preferred store and search their inventory
- Download on iOS (iPhone & iPad) and Android
This is an easy-to-use app that allows you to monitor and record your blood pressure. HeartWise Blood Pressure Tracker has been one of the highest rated app on the App Store due to its ease of use, quick tracking feature, and detailed recording of your blood pressure, resting heart rate, and weight.
- Records systolic and diastolic blood pressure, pulse, weight
- Auto-calculates mean arterial pressure, pulse pressure, and body mass index (BMI)
- Allows you to export a fully-formatted report by email in text or in spreadsheet format as well as import existing data from other apps
- Detailed charts and reports to give you a visual depiction of how your blood pressure changes over time.
- Download on iPhone or iPad.
Click here to read a review on HeartWise Blood Pressure Tracker.
With so many health apps available in the market today, find the ones most beneficial to you. Implementing technology into your daily routine could make your health monitoring easier and thorough.
What other health apps have you found useful to you? Share them with us!